Tuesday, June 21

carhartt -this is the sort of detroit i'm talking about

Before getting into it, if anyone amenable to contributing to a timeline project on your Carhartt Detroit jacket I want to start collecting facts/pictures...




Great, slightly older Detroit. I find it hard to date these things, not a ton of info online but from the darker collar, no internal pocket and no branding on the zipperpulls I'm guessing late 70's? Had one that I believe was 60's; that had straight cuff stitching (and that is now curved)... The duck material used as a hanger-loop (rather than later nylon) is a date mark as well... again, not sure of the cut off date on that. Then external branding, love those folded, inseam labels. More washed than worn I think, quite soft. New ones cost around $75, this cost half.

4 comments:

Christian S said...

I've got a more recent one... Bought as old stock, square patch under left breast pocket, no internal pocket, carhartt main zipper. UFCW union made, tag is marked with marker 14141-97. Full blanket thru sleeves, probably towards the end before they switched over to nylon?

james at 10engines said...

@christian you bought it from a store direct? remember where/when? any more? .. for the crowd? thx

Christian S said...

nope, off of craigslist last year in CT. I believe the work wear store in Litchfield, CT still has a few around, mostly in smaller sizes in odd colors such as green and burgundy, and the guy at the Elephants Trunk flea market sells hardly worn to beat up ones for 20 bucks or so all year long

Christian S said...

james, picked up 2 new jackets last week. i'm a pretty big guy, so I'm not really worried about blowing out my spot... the flea market I mentioned has plenty of older fully blanket lined, some red quilt lined and a decent amount of centennial...all pants $10, western shirts $5 with the 5th one free, and coats are $15.