Thursday, June 16

inspiration -mash





Trapper John: ...without olives, a martini just doesn't. quite. make it.

Epic early scene where Trapper (Elliot Gould) pulls out the jar of olives from his parka...

I didn't see the movie version of M*A*S*H till I was maybe a teenager, and the first half (the fake assisted suicide) was a little intense, think I might have turned it off. Need one of those woodsy camo Jones hats like Hawkeye (Donald Sutherland) sports. Or Col. Blake's lure-studded Kromer. The football game at the end occupies a good quarter of the movie, had forgotten that. #stencilledsweatshirts

The TV version of the show was my babysitter in the late 70s though. The story of an eccentric doctor who preferred martinis and came from New England? I could relate to that character-type. The officer's club bar, all ramshackle with Christmas lights etc, realise now that has ingrained itself in my mind as inspiration for a mancave barn/bar.

The novel M*A*S*H is good, and the sequel M*A*S*H Goes To Maine isn't bad... the rest not great. BTW, Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce, great name...